Monday, July 15, 2019

A Toast to New Orleans July 15-22: Tales of the Cocktail/Spirited Round Table Luncheon and much more....





Happy Bastille Day-  The Wreath Ceremony & La Fete at NOMA were  cancelled but  Faubourg St John party is postponed to the 27th.



Darlings,

After a brief sojourn to Santo Domingo, the city where I was born, it feels so good to be back to New Orleans. Unfortunately, it was at a time that the unwelcome BARRY was menacing us.
.. 

I hope you are all safe and dry from Barry. I was not here when the big flood occurred last Wednesday, but I saw the images on TV and it broke my heart to see what so many people here had to go through.  
We were fortunate that we were spared but this could be like  a dress rehearsal to the hurricane season. Let's hope not..

I wanted to stay longer in Santo Domingo but there were too many parties that I wanted to attend and cover. As it turned most of the soirees that I rushed back to attend were either cancelled or postponed. I also needed to get busy promoting my next Round Table Luncheon on Wednesday the 17th which I will tell you more about below.

The only one that I did not miss attending was the superb production of "She Loves Me" by the cast of Summer Lyric Theater at Tulane. Fortunately, for those whose tickets were on the postponed night, another performance has been added for Monday, July 15 at 7:30 p.m.  
WOW. The quality of the productions of The Summer Lyric Theater at Tulane University under the direction of artistic director Dr. Michael McKelvey never fail  to amaze me. "She Loves Me" was superb and we were amazed with the extraordinary talent of Dody Piper who played the leading lady. BRAVA darling! You are a Star. I adore the entire cast composed of long time friends that included talented Rich Arnold, Sean Patterson, Bob Edes Jr and many other. 
Not to be missed tonight.
Image may contain: 8 people, including Dody Piper and Ronnie Scott-Poirrier, people smiling
On a sad note, I cannot believe that I was away for a mere week and during that brief time, the New Orleans community lost five of its pillars and some of my longtime darling friends. 
My deepest condolence to the family of community activist and former director of catering for some of the greatest hotels, Leslie Marsh; former New Orleans City Councilman, John D. Lambert, Jr; world-renowned New Orleans neurologist, Dr. Terence C. D’Souza; Realtor Ethel Kidd, longtime President of the French Quarter Business Owners; and finally, acclaimed Louisiana artist Rolland Golden. May their souls R.I.P.

I do  want to share with you my "pilgrimage"  to my hometown. 


Darlings, Going back to my beloved Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, after an absence of 16 years, was an incredible, priceless experience.

An avalanche of mixed emotions stormed over me. During this brief sojourn, I actually met 98 percent of my family. Some of them for the first time ever. My brother,Lorenzo Bergen, goes back and forth between New Orleans and Santo Domingo more often than me, since we kept the ancestral family home. It was extraordinary for me to be sleeping in the same bedroom.
 that I shared with my grandmother "Dona Margara" 57 years ago. She was the matriarch of the family and kept a very tight rein on all of us. 
Sweet memories of my childhood kept rushing and on the last day of my trip, I was chauffeured around the area where I went to school, church, etc. 
I was delighted that it was time for Mangoes, Avocados and the beautiful royal poinciana tree known as flamboyant, flame of the forest, or "flame tree." It is usually red but my cousins introduced me to a rare yellow one as well. 
Spending 4 days in the popular Playa de Boca Chica was extraordinary. I loved being steps away from the beach and eating all the Dominican dishes right by the beach and of course the President beer was an added pleasure. Hotel Arena Coco Beach Hotel in Boca Chica has become Lorenzo's home away from home and it is extremely affordable.
It is amazing how Santo Domingo has grown and have modernized. I don't know my way around it anymore since most of my experiences were attending school in the old Colonial sector and the neighborhood of Gascues and San Carlos.
Santo Domingo de Guzmán, is the capital and largest city in the Dominican Republic and the largest metropolitan area in the Caribbean by population. In 2010, its population was counted as 965,040, rising to 2,908,607 when its surrounding metropolitan area was included. 
Santo Domingo is the cultural, financial, political, commercial and industrial center of the Dominican Republic, with the country's most important industries being located within the city. Santo Domingo also serves as the chief seaport of the country and accommodates big vessels. 
Many decades ago, when I resided in New York City, I was appointed by the then President Juan Balaguer to be part of his economic commission representing New York City. It was not unusual for me to meet with President Balaguer and flight there twice a year. 
Connections from New Orleans to Santo Domingo are very time consuming so I stopped going there and concentrated in getting to know the rest of the world which I did.
This trip was not a tourist trip but a Dominican going home to spend quality time with my relatives and of course enjoy the culinary creations and the fabulous beach of Boca Chica. 
If I die tomorrow, i will be a happy one since i made my long anticipated pilgrimage home. 
I shall return and hopefully sooner!
.. 


Those were the days! An old photo of me circa 1972 with President Joaquin Balaguer of the Dominican Republic 
Image may contain: one or more people

 

One of the events that I am  not planning to miss and is taking place this afternoon:   July 15 at 2:30 pm. The Degas House will host the French Ambassador to the United States, Philippe Etienne, who will present the “Maisons des Illustres Marker” there.

Besides the homes of visual artists such as Edgar Degas, the “Maisons des Illustres” network includes the homes of writers, musicians, composers, actors, scientists, designers and world leaders, such as Monet, Renoir, Cezanne, Napoleon, Cartier, Yves Saint Laurent, Marie Curie and Jeanne d' Arc, among many others.

Also in attendance at the Degas House will be Louisiana Lt. Governor Billy Nungesser and members of the New Orleans City Council.
Looking forward to stepping out Monday and attending this historical event!



For those of you who are going to the Rolling Stones concert, enjoy it! After two postponements, I’m sure it will be worth the wait.

TOAST TO TALES

JOIN US AND TOAST TO THE 17TH ANNUAL TALES OF THE COCKTAIL® WITH A HIGHBALL TOAST

Join us outside of  Royal Sonesta New Orleans 
Tuesday, July 16th 1:00 PM
Royal Sonesta Hotel
300 Bourbon St., French Quarter New Orleans


The first Great Bar Race event will take place on Tuesday, July 16th at Bienville St. (between Bourbon St. and Royal St.), directly following the official TOTC kickoff toast at 1:00pm. The events will continue Wednesday and Thursday between 2-3 pm at Bienville St.
🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸🍸

Of course, the highlight of my week is to going to be the hosting of my annual Spirited Round Table Luncheon Saluting Tales of the Cocktail and Priscilla Lawrence on Wednesday, July 17 at noon at the historic Ballroom of the Bourbon Orleans Hotel.
The spirited luncheon will be co-hosted by Caroline Rosen, Executive Director of Tales of the Cocktail and Jenny Butler, Adviser to Philanthropic and Civic Initiatives at Gary N. Solomon and yours truly.

I will also pay tribute to my darling friend, Priscilla Lawrence, CEO and President of the Historic New Orleans Collection who is retiring. 

Jorge Lauriano Jr. Division Manager at William Grant & Sons is featuring Hendrick's Gin. Sebastian Derbomez, Hendrick's US Brand Ambassador will talk about the featured cocktail and host the luncheon as well.

Among the invited speakers will be Emily Madero, President & CEO of French Quarter Festivals, who will speak briefly about the upcoming Satchmo SummerFest presented by Chevron, August 2-4; Brent Rosen, the new president and CEO of the National Food and Beverage Foundation, commonly known around New Orleans as the Southern Food and Beverage Museum; and Miguel Solorzano. Sazerac House General Manager. Greater New Orleans Area.

The live entertainment will be by the “New Orleans Songbird,” vocalist Robin Barnes Casey and cocktail historian Elizabeth Pearce.

Philanthropist Sammy Steele will have on display and for sale a collection of his beautiful hats.

The $65, all-inclusive price includes a delicious, 3-course gourmet luncheon, plus champagne/wines and valet parking. Make your reservations now by calling Judy LeBlanc at (504) 571-4672 or email her at 
Judy.LeBlanc@BourbonOrleans.com

Enjoy tales of the Cocktail
TALES OF THE COCKTAIL 
July 16, 2019 - July 21,2019
From behind-the-scenes distillery tours to in-depth profiles & interviews, we're 
highlighting the most interesting people, products, places & ideas in the spirits 
industry kicking off with Toast to Tales at 1pm  Tuesday, July 16th

Tales of the Cocktail 2019 Host Hotel, Royal Sonesta Tales of the Cocktail Foundation is July 16-21, 2019.

Tales of the Cocktail Tales of the Cocktail is a yearly exchange meeting, celebration, and social occasion of mixed drink and spirits industry experts in New Orleans, Louisiana. The meeting was established in 2003 by mixed drink lover, Ann Tuennerman, and has in the vicinity of 15,000 and 17,000 ticketed order.

And, finally, before I go about my social rounds, I want to announce that my darling talented friend, Annie Lousteau, is having a showing of her original artwork (acrylic paintings, assemblages, and hand-painted furniture) in the lobby of the St. Joe Lofts, 923 Constance Street (between St. Joseph Street and Andrew Higgins Drive) on Saturday, July 20 from 6-9 p.m.

Many of Annie’s paintings portray musical themes and inspiration, using vibrant, exuberant colors that display recognizable features but also invite individual interpretation. Over the years her works have been shown at Ariodante Gallery on Julia Street, and other artworks of hers are on display at Imagine Recovery, Ursuline Academy and the New Orleans Musicians’ Clinic.

All paintings and other pieces are reasonably priced and negotiable so please stop by, look around, and help support this talented local artist. For more information call or text 504-338-2990.

Enjoy your very spirited week!
For your information: 
Rescheduled- San Fermin-  August 23-25...all venues the same for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment